So, there may be a bit of sarcasm behind the title “10 Ways To Ruin Your Party!” On Friday, I had the pleasure of speaking at the Foodie Friday Event in conjunction with the Arkansas Woman Bloggers Conference in Hot Springs. I offered 10 Tips that will hopefully not “ruin” your party but only help, and I would love to share them with you…
“Show and Tell”… Examples of place settings…this one is from my article in At Home in Arkansas!
Tip 1: PLANNING!
- Event? (a shower, holiday, celebration, or just for fun)
- Guests? (friends, family, guests you know/don’t know)
- Sit-Down, Buffet, Potluck?
Tip 2: MENU!
- Seasonal food
- Number of Guests/Budget?
- Make it simple and be creative
- Magazines- great ideas
Tip 3: COCKTAIL!
- Signature drink (fun and budget friendly)
- Ice and Garnishes
- Non-alcoholic version/water
- Fun paper products
Tip 4: INVITATIONS!
- Theme (event, menu, cocktail may influence)
- Printed, handwritten, phone call, evites
- RSVP vs. Regrets Only: I like RSVP. This allows you to call your guest list if needed.
- Be specific with information (event, date, time, place, dress)
- Send at least 2 week in advance if not earlier
Tip 5: ORGANIZATION!
- Organize your dishes, tablecloths, napkins, serving pieces, etc. to be visible and accessible
- Spiral, Phone, Calendar (Keep notes with you while planning)
Tip 6: PRESENTATION!
- Use theme/reason for setting the table
- Centerpiece (flowers or decorative object(s))
- Mix and match dishes
- Place cards (may be favors as well)
- Set the table in advance
Tip 7: WALK THROUGH!
- Go through checklist in spiral
- Food prep
- Straighten house (save deep cleaning for after the party)
- Clean bathroom (fresh roll of toilet paper!)
- 20 minutes before: lights on, candles lit, appetizers out)
- Sweep front porch/walk
- Cocktail/Bar ready
Tip 8: ENJOY YOUR PARTY AND GUESTS!
- Relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor
- No one is perfect and no event is perfect
- Ask guests if they need anything and make them feel welcome in your home
- Sign of a good party: guests stay late and lots of laughter
Tip 9: HAVE A HOUSE PROJECT? ENTERTAIN!
- Endless list of house projects will be achieved if you throw a party
- Plan these projects/honey-do’s in advance
Tip 10: DON’T BE AFRAID! HAVE CONFIDENCE!
- Reward yourself and have friends/family over
- Start slow and ask one friend over or one couple
My goal was to encourage and inspire at least one person to entertain! And guess what? I received a tweet, and she will be starting slow and inviting one couple over! Thank you to Debbie Arnold for a great event and to Tayla Boerner for a kind introduction!
Go Entertain and Enjoy the Day!